"How Much Land Does a Man Need?"
Title: "How Much Land Does a Man Need?"
Author: Leo Tolstoy
1. Pahom- peasant,wants land, becomes greedy, dies while trying to get too much land
2. Devil- trying to trick Pahom, uses land to bring Pahom's downfall;
the "Evil one"
3. Bashkirs: nomads,didn't work, "owned" lots of land; drank kumiss & ate mutton
1. Themes: a) people shouldn't be greedy
b) people should be satisfied with what they have
2. foreshadowing: Pahom's dream foreshadowed his downfall & death
3. internal conflict: a) Pahom was not satisfied with his life b) Pahom's greed became his
4. external conflict: a) Pahom & his neighbors over trespassing, etc.